This past year has been CRAZY!
Literally 1 year ago, almost to the day, we had one of our first meet-ups to do a script read through of Harker: The Awakening (at that time we called it “The Crystal Parasite” – oh how far we have come!). This was before we did any casting, made a single prop, planned any shots or even had a single penny to work with. This was the beginning of Film in a Year before we knew what Film in a Year was.
And today, April 17th, 2015 we stand a stones throw away from the premiere of this movie, which I will announce TOMORROW!!! And before I get into all the fun details about the premiere in tomorrow’s post (which I know you will want to hear all about) let me give you a quick snapshot into what we accomplished this past year, so you can understand why this premiere is Such. A. Big. Deal.
Our Film in a Year Snapshot
April – June 2014
- We hosted a meet-up of 20+ people to read through the final draft of the script. (See behind the scenes here!)
- decided to produce this movie.
- put out casting calls, held auditions (video) & chose cast.
- Contacted dozens and dozens of locations. Some worked out. Many didn’t 🙁
- Came up with prop & costume ideas.
- Ran Rehearsals (video).
July – September 2014
- Became an official LLC
- Got a 10K budget to work with. (So grateful, but as any movie person knows, this is tiny)
- Had an Aussie Director of Photography fly over to be involved.
- Filmed our very first day on July 16th, 2014 (WATCH OUR FIRST DAY!!!)
- Filmed for 32 days total, averaging 16hrs each. (not including pick-ups)
- Set up and tore down a prom 3 times!!!
- Had many huge successes.
- Had many huge failures.
- Got Stressed. Got happy. Got frustrated. Got to laugh.
- Built friendships with amazing people. (Goofy Video here.)
October – December 2014
- We were tired. Burnt out.
- We struggled to figure out how to organize post-production.
- It was hard to stay motivated.
- Money was out.
- Things took so much longer to do than we possibly imagined.
- We were over ambitious with goals.
January – March 2015
- We got our focus and motivation back.
- We got a solid sound team on board.
- Edit locks started happening much faster.
- VFX are in progress (though still slower than expected)
- Systems are in place and we got organized.
- Released our first teaser trailer.
The Plan for April – June 2015
- Finish all sound including ADR & mixing.
- Finish as many VFX as possible (400+ is kind of ambitious)
- Complete color correction and color grading.
- Finish the Movie by Mid June.
- Plan the PREMIERE!!
So that’s a wrap! Our Film in 1 Year (almost)
Now we would love to hear from you – what is the craziest thing you have done this past year? Is it something you are proud of?